City of Henderson, NC

Downtown Development

In August 1987, the Henderson Central Business Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register is a list of properties “significant in American history, architecture, archeology and culture”.

Composing 16 square blocks and occupying approximately 46 acres, Henderson’s Central Business Historic District is a testimony to the city’s role as the largest town and seat of Vance County since 1881. The buildings are predominately one to three story brick and brick commercial and industrial structures with public buildings, churches and remnants of residential areas scattered throughout.

Most of the buildings in the District date between 1885 and 1929. Those buildings which predate 1885 are the survivors of a devastating fire in that year. The vitality of the town as a rail and commercial center and a sea of county government was attested to by the fact that within a year, the commercial district had begun revival and within five yeast was virtually rebuilt.

For more information, please visit:www.hendersonncdowntown.com   or contact the  Manager, at (252) 425-0844.