Last Updated: 13 June 2014
The Perry Memorial Library was established 19 May 1924 as a private library for Henderson and Vance County residents. In 1975, the library’s status changed from private to public when its Board of Trustees (Trustees) appointments and direct funding came under the auspices of the City and County. The facility, now located at 205 Breckenridge Street in downtown Henderson, is among the finest found in any small town and county and is a source of pride for the community. The Library’s website may be viewed by clicking on the following H. Leslie Perry Memorial Library link.
Meeting Schedule and Location: The Trustees meet regularly in the Conference Room, Perry Memorial Library, 205 Breckenridge Street in downtown Henderson. The public is cordially invited to attend. For information about meeting times, please call the Library at (252) 438-3316.
Annual Budget: The City Council provides 25% of the local match required by the Library. Vance County provides 75% funding and other funding sources include State of North Carolina annual contribution, grants and donations by the Friends of the Library.
Application to Serve on Board of Trustees: Please click here to find the Application for Boards form. Please download, print and mail the completed form to Ms. Esther J. McCrackin, City Clerk, P. O. Box 1434, Henderson, NC 27536 or deliver it in person at City Hall, 134 Rose Avenue in downtown Henderson.
Membership and Term of Appointment: The Board of Trustees is comprised of 12 members serving three (3) year staggered terms. The City Council appoints three (3) members and the remaining members are appointed by the Vance County Board of Commissioners.